Action is one of these odd categories that has expanded over the years.
Action games are often clumped together because these are often the games that require great hand-eye co-ordination and quick reaction time, they are skill based games.
Some popular sub-genres of this category include shooters (first person and third), fighter games and platform games.
Some common themes in the action genre include:
- Levels: Players will advance through and complete stages of the game.
- Main Character: In action games you control a central character in the story arch and guide a character that is not you (an RPG therefore is a game where you control a created character).
- Enemies: Action games will involve navigating through space, beating past obstacles and enemies.
- Health/Lives: In an action game you will have either health or lives or both. This will make it so you can lose the game and will have to start over.
- Ending: Action games have definite endings. After the game is finished you start from the beginning or enter a free roam sandbox mode, however once the game is done the game is over.